Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ginger Steak Salad - YUMMERS!

After this past weekend of junk food and Chipotle, I was craving some veggies so I dug through the Pioneer Woman's recipes and found this little gem. If you are craving greens and are craving some steak, this is the perfect salad for you! Or if you aren't craving either, you should still try it. Branch out and live a little.

I just went back to the recipe to see how many servings she says this makes. She says it serves 1. ONE?! That MUST be a typo. Alicia and I had it last night and we have PLENTY left over to have two more servings. So, I would say it serves at least four. The recipe calls for 8oz of salad greens, but I only used 6oz so it may even serve more if you use the total amount.

I love Thai Steak salads and this recipe reminded me of one. Thai salads usually include cucumbers, red onions and cilantro so I went ahead and added those ingredients to the salad. I also doubled the salad dressing recipe. If it ends up being too much for you, you can always keep it in the fridge and use it on a plain salad. It would be just as delicious.

As for the steak, I like my steaks medium-rare with a strong emphasis on the rare. I bought a nice Rib-Eye that was about 1lb in weight. It was a thick cut steak so it took about 2.5 minutes on each side in a REALLY hot skillet. I would flip it over every 1.5 minutes though because the brown sugar in the marinade will burn quickly. Speaking of the marinade - PW suggests that you marinate it for 30 minutes to 2 hours. Mine marinated for around 45 minutes and it was perfect.

As I was making this recipe, I realized that I not only hate chopping parsley but I also hate chopping ginger. I found this little tutorial for you though in case you want to reference it... it may make it easier for you, but if you are like me you will still loathe the task. I do LOVE chopping garlic though. Go figure.

I made this recipe pretty much exactly as Ree wrote it, except for the little changes I mentioned above. This is a GREAT salad that will satisfy any appetite!

Happy Cooking!

1 comment:

  1. This was one of my favorite salads ever...so much so that I don't think I said a single word while eating it. That good.

    ReplyDelete